Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tool # 11

1. What are your favorite tools you now have in your personal technology toolbox? Briefly describe a particular activity that you will plan for your students using at least one of these new tools. Edmodo, Drop Box, Story Bird, Avatar, Google Docs, The website game www.tutpup.com , along with numerous iPad apps. As mentioned previously I plan to use Edmodo to encourage outside research and sharing in science, offer bonus questions in math, and extend learning opportunities at home by adding videos, articles, and fun facts in science that students can read, watch, view and reflect on. I also plan to use Avatars to review important vocabulary words and the students could post them in Edmodo to share as well. 2. How have you transformed your thinking about the learning that will take place in your classroom? How has your vision for your classroom changed? Are you going to need to make any changes to your classroom to accommodate the 21st Century learner? I wouldnt say my thinking has transformed, from day one in the classroom, I have felt strongly that technology is the answer and is a must. What 11 tools has done is forced me to be introduced to ideas, and tons of options I look forward to using in the future. Although some are more useful and more practical that others, I do think I was able to take a lot away. I also feel that the equipment we will receive following this program will make it more realistic and possible to carry out our ideas and have more technology to "play with". I do agree that digital citizenship is important and I think we can work that in with our US history and government citizen lessons easily. The main change I need to remember going forward is to be ok with the students knowing more about apps and programs that I do and using that as an advantage. As long as I do my part teaching them technology responsibility it should be a benefit. 3. Were there any unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you? When I first heard about 11 tools I thought it was going to be 11 devices instead of 11 "cyber" tools. As you can imagine there was a bit of disappointment when it was only things you can not touch such as programs and websites/ blogs, but in the end I am pleased with the "tools" presented and feel that it was very organized and well done. There are far for online tools that I even knew existed and I hope they keep the 11 tools blog we referenced, up for some time so I can reference it when needed in the coming school years.

No comments:

Post a Comment